The panic about Coronavirus is spreading fast and I have been inundated with questions about how to keep your immunity strong and protect ourselves from infections.
There’s a lot that we can do naturally, through nutrition and lifestyle interventions, to strengthen our immune system and prevent any infections taking hold, so read on to learn more!
What is Coronavirus and who’s at risk?
“Coronavirus” is part of a family of viruses which cause a range of illnesses, ranging from the common cold to severe respiratory conditions. This year a new strain of coronavirus (2019-nCoV) was identified as the cause of pneumonia in China, and it has since spread worldwide. Anyone infected is likely to suffer mild to severe chest problems, starting with a fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
Those at risk of dying are those with pre-existing health conditions so although it is important for all of us to strengthen our immunity it is especially so for at-risk members of the population, those with existing underlying medical conditions, as well as young children, the elderly, and those who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
It has been widely reported that washing our hands regularly with soap and water is vital, so see this video for the correct way to be safe- (https://youtu.be/d914EnpU4Fo).
Avoid touching your face – especially mouth nose and eyes and have a look at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) which give additional measures which help further reduce our risk of infection.
What further things can we do?
The media are strikingly quiet about the importance of diet, nutrition and lifestyle for keeping up our immunity and helping our bodies stay strong to resist infection. We do not succumb to every infection we come in contact with. Our bodies are constantly working hard to protect us and there is actually research available which highlights the possible benefit of nutrition for infection from other strains of coronavirus, which it would be worth putting into practice given the possibility that it might be effective against 2019-nCoV too!
Here are a list of things we can do and take to give our immune systems some support.
Self-Care Action Plan for Supporting your Immunity
- Add herbs such as garlic, ginger, nutmeg, coriander, cumin, black pepper turmeric or cinnamondaily to food.
- Take beta-glucans, zinc, lysine and vitamins A, C and D on a daily basis with a therapeutic multinutrient. These are supplements with general anti-viral properties.
- Drinking tea made from freshly grated ginger before breakfast is highly recommended.
- Eat foods such as onions, garlic, leeks, Jerusalem artichoke and kefir on a daily basis or products such as FOS- fructo-oligo saccharides. This supports the gut immunity by increasing your intake of prebiotics(the fibre)and probiotics (the good bacteria).
- Drink warming herbal teas to aid digestion such as fennel, lemon balm, mint, turmeric and cardamom.
If You Start Feeling Unwell
- Take a complex providing elderberry, since preliminary research has revealed its strong inhibitory effect on a strain of human coronavirus.
- Licquorice (not if pregnant) and thyme are great for chest infections reducing irritation and anti-microbial.
- Drink plenty of fluids, hot infusions of elderflower, peppermint or yarrow are good, hot lemon and honey is soothing and take ½ tsp echinacea and 500mg vitamin C every two hours to boost immunity.
- Have a vitamin D test- (available at Natural Chiropractic). We are all prone to low vitamin D levels, especially during winter months. Something as basic as this can help reduce your risk of infection.
All of the above nutrients are important for children’s immunity too, but at a dose that’s appropriate for their, use a product that’s been specifically formulated for children, or contact me at Natural Chiropractic for further guidance.
If you are worried about Coronavirus more information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public.
If you are at risk please keep calm and focus on your self-care. All the supplements in this article can be found at Natural Chiropractic but please don’t substitute the advice on this page for the advice of a Healthcare Practitioner
If you would like personalised nutrition and herbal advice please contact Melanie Cutting at Natural Chiropractic on 01245 382838.