Please call the clinic and you will be seen at the earliest opportunity. We always try to see emergencies the same day.
Home Help – What to do at home if you are in acute pain
- Localize the area the pain is coming from.
- Place an ice compress in a tea towel and place upon the localized area for 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off and 15 minutes on again (total 45 minutes), repeat this procedure after 2-3 hours.
- For the neck – keep your head in the least painful position, usually looking away from the painful side, keep your arms below shoulder height. Lay down with your head and neck upon a pillow to take the weight off your neck if necessary.
- For the lower back and sciatic pain – lay face down as shown in the picture. Use pillows both under your pelvis and ankles and one small pillow under the chest. This is the ideal position to ice your lower back. It should be comfortable. You should avoid sitting.
- Alternatively, a second choice is to lay upon your back with your knees bent and neck supported by a pillow.
- Avoid sudden movement, coughing and sneezing.
- Do not use heat, this can increase inflammation.
- if you are having difficulty controlling your bowel or bladder (wetting yourself), phone immediately or go to the A & E Department of your local hospital.
- Call the clinic at the first opportunity and you will be seen as an emergency.
Note: Avoid any of the above if pain increases and contact the clinic for further advice.
Cliffs Chiropractic Chelmsford
Serving the people of Essex and Chelmsford and its surrounding areas including Hatfield Peverel, Witham, Maldon and Braintree.